A substantial meal doesn’t have to take hours to cook. In fact, there are many meals you can make in the space of 10 minutes which will make your mouth water.
Check out some of our Frugl favourites!
Chicken Pesto Pasta
Depending on how detailed you want to be in terms of ‘home cooking’ depends on how quick this meal will be. But with a pre-roasted chicken from Coles or Woolworths you can be dining in with a delicious meal in no time.
Here’s what you need and how to do it:
- 1 Roast Chicken
- Spring Onions
- Sundried Tomatoes
- Boil water in a saucepan and add pasta to cook. While waiting for the pasta to cook, begin shredding the roast chicken and finley slicing spring onions.
- Once the pasta has finished cooking, drain and let to set. In the same saucepan you used to boil the pasta, spoon in the pesto and cream while on low heat. Add spring onions and mix.
- Add pasta back into the saucepan once spring onions look wilted, then add olives and sundried tomatoes too.
- Serve and enjoy! (Feeds approx 4)
Spinach and Ricotta Cheese Puff
A simple meal that pairs deliciously with some chilli sauce is this quick and easy spinach cheese puff recipe. The longest part of this recipe is waiting for the oven to reach the right temperature.
What you need:
- 2 packets of frozen spinach
- 375ml of ricotta
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper to season
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees celsius and put frozen pastry sheets on the bench to defrost.
- While waiting for the oven to reach temperature, dice onions and mince garlic then sauté in a fry pan. Set aside to cool.
- While onions and garlic cool, drain water from defrosted spinach and combine with ricotta in a mixing bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper as well as the cool onions and garlic.
- Place puff pastry sheets on to a baking paper lined tray each, then spoon half the mixture along the length of each pastry sheet.
- Fold pastry into a parcel that holds the mixture nicely. Then with a fork, spike small holes in the top of the parcel.
- Place in oven till pastry puffs and goes golden brown in colour.
- Serve in halves and enjoy! [feeds approx 4)
Rainbow Stir Fry
High heat and little to no pan time is what stir fries are all about. That and the delicious aroma of soy sauce, garlic and ginger floating through your kitchen. YUM!
What you need:
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 capsicum sliced
- 1 head of broccoli (break into florets)
- 1 zucchini (sliced)
- Green beans
- Onion (diced)
- Garlic (minced)
- Grated fresh ginger
- Soy sauce
- Vegetable oil
- Jasmine rice
What to do:
- Cook the rice in a small saucepan or rice cooker
- Heat a large skillet or fry pan over a medium-high heat and add vegetable oil.
- Cook onions, carrots, broccoli, capsicum and green beans until at desired tenderness (but still vibrant usually 10 minutes)
- Add soy sauce till desired sauciness is achieved – but be careful! It’s always best to add less first.
- Once cooked, serve onto a bed of rice and enjoy! (Feeds approx 4).
To increase your efficiency in the kitchen you might want to check out our other article on 3 Kitchen Utensils That Will Change Your Life – pssst a garlic press is one of them!